2014年4月3日星期四

Runway Model And Tech Programmer



Now it's time for the latest conversation from our Women in Tech series. All this month, we're speaking to innovators in tech, and we're talking about the best ways to encourage young women to consider engineering, puter science and other tech fields as careers. Now not many of us think of tech as glamorous, but fashion model and programmer - yes, you heard me right - Lyndsey Scott, is defying the stereotypes. When she's not busy modeling for Calvin Klein, Prada and Louis Vuitton, Lyndsey Scott creates apps - two of which were recently picked by Apple. And despite having walked the runway for Victoria's Secret, she is still proud to call herself a nerd. And Lyndsey Scott is with us now. We e. Thanks so much for joining us.LYNDSEY SCOTT: Thanks for having me.

MARTIN: So which came first, the beauty part or the geek part?
SCOTT: I was probably called a geek way before I was called a beauty. I definitely wasn't a model when I was in school, but I never called myself a geek back then. It was more of a painful term than a plement, but now that people are using words like geek and nerd to describe me, as long as it means that I'm smart, I'm OK with it.MARTIN: You're going to fly your geek flag high now, right?SCOTT: Sure.MARTIN: So when did you discover your love of puter science and all those kind of related areas? Is it something that you grew up with? Is it something that you kind of discovered just by kind of noodling around?SCOTT: I first started playing around with puter programming when I was in middle school.

I was given a TI 89 graphing calculator. I started looking through the documentation, and realized I could make games on my calculator. So I didn't see it as puter programming at all at the time, just as a way for me to have fun games to play with.MARTIN: We've spoke to a lot of women and girls in tech fields, and a lot of them say that they started kind of getting messages surprisingly early on that tech wasn't supposed to be for girls. I mean, that they weren't supposed to be in it. Did you ever feel that way?SCOTT: No not at all. Programming wasn't something that I was deterred from at all. In fact, my father was a puter programmer when it was in zeros and ones. Right now - nowadays he types with one finger at a time on a puter, but he was involved with puter programming himself.

没有评论:

发表评论