2014年1月14日星期二

How to deal with a difficult programmer on an open source project?

I have an open source script for a specific site I'm trying not to call anything by name here that a few other developers and I recently moved to GitHub. We've been joined by several new developers since we moved to the new system, including one very active one in particular. However, this active one has started changing a lot of the project.First of all, he deleted our versioning system not like Git, but like that—we called it versions v4.1.16 and said it would be better to simply push the code to the site when we think it's ready. Now there's no centralized place to put release notes, which has become annoying.The thing that made me just about ready to pack my bags and go was the push script. Another developer on the project wrote a simple Python-based push script. Since we keep multiple versions of the script online in various places, I began coding a larger Java program with a graphical interface that would replace the Python script.

I went on IRC to notify everyone about it, and I got a very annoying response from the programmer saying that the old Python-based script can do everything mine can do and is so much more lightweight he also commented about the fact that he thought Python was better than Java and so on. I looked over the code for the old push script and saw that none of the features he said existed were there.So now I want to know what to do. I've spent a lot of my time on this project, so I don't want to just get up and leave, but I'm finding it hard to work with this new developer. On the flip side, he is now the #1 committer on the project, with even more commits than the lead developer. I'm not really sure what to do about this. Has anybody else experienced this problem? If so, what did you do?

Every working day this month, as part of our New Year, New Job 2014 special, Develop brings you a game industry professional to explain what their job involves and key advice to help you follow in their footsteps.Anna Ljungberg, an experienced gameplay programmer at Codemasters, describes what it takes to become part of a programming team, governing the science that makes racing games fun.I'm part of the gameplay programming team on one of our racing titles. I'm mainly responsible for the extensive camera system that underpins all of the cinematic and driving cameras. But I get stuck into all game-related tasks as required, such as game mode logic, results and rewards.

没有评论:

发表评论